1. Apart From That, Mrs. Lincoln
Years ago there was a missile test the Pentagon touted met 16 of 17 objectives. The one it missed was the target.
The ballot I filled out in last week’s election met with similar success.
For whatever reason the one I missed keeps bugging me.
2. La Liberté éclairant le monde
The students I teach this year are immigrants. Wednesday morning I told them they are always welcome in my classroom, and always welcome in our school.
As for beyond, well, I don’t like to make promises I can’t keep.
You’d think with that big green statue out front this wouldn’t be an issue.
3. The Fall
Gentle Reader, you come here not only for wisdom and guidance, but also moral elevation. So, uh, here goes:
- We are not (yet, anyway) so benighted that we are without autumn. And man alive, the way the light’s hitting the leaves this week…
- My buddy Owen became a father!
- One of my students was wearing an AC/DC t-shirt, so we had a lovely conversation that consisted – given his English and my Spanish – of almost entirely song titles and grins of approving delight. The subject then switched to Guns N’ Roses, and I was even able to use my illusion to conceal that anything not on Appetite for Destruction is a considerable step down.
Gentle Reader, I leave you with the uplifting words of W. Axl Rose:
Nothing lasts forever, and we both know hearts can change.